API Example: The New York Times Books API
This page shows the current top 15 "Combined Print and E-Book Nonfiction" titles for 05/20/2017, fetched from The New York Times Books API. To see the Django views.py that calls and parses the API, visit the code on Github.
- 1 (1). ASTROPHYSICS FOR PEOPLE IN A HURRY, Neil deGrasse Tyson / A straightforward, easy-to-understand introduction to the laws that govern the universe.
- 2 (2). OPTION B, Sheryl Sandberg and Adam Grant / Sandberg’s experience after her husband’s sudden death and Grant’s psychological research combine to provide insight on facing adversity and building resilience.
- 3 (-). ON TYRANNY, Timothy Snyder / Twenty lessons from the 20th century about the course of tyranny.
- 4 (-). THE VANISHING AMERICAN ADULT, Ben Sasse / The Nebraska senator’s advice on how to raise resilient, responsible children.
- 5 (6). HILLBILLY ELEGY, J D Vance / A Yale Law School graduate looks at the struggles of the white working class through the story of his own childhood.
- 6 (5). KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON, David Grann / The story of a murder spree in 1920s Oklahoma that targeted Osage Indians, whose lands contained oil.
- 7 (3). SHATTERED, Jonathan Allen and Amie Parnes / An examination of Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign.
- 8 (7). THE ZOOKEEPER'S WIFE, Diane Ackerman / How a Warsaw couple sheltered Jews and members of the Resistance during World War II. Originally published in 2007; now the basis of a movie,
- 9 (-). PAPI, David Ortiz with Michael Holley / Looking back on 14 years with the Red Sox.
- 10 (-). THE BETTER ANGELS OF OUR NATURE, Steven Pinker / The Harvard psychologist argues that we are living in the most peaceable period of human existence, thanks to developments — government, literacy, trade — that make it possible for people to control their violent impulses.
- 11 (4). DEMOCRACY, Condoleezza Rice / The former secretary of state argues that the promotion of democracy should shape America’s foreign policy.
- 12 (9). THE OPERATOR, Robert O'Neill / The 400-mission career of a SEAL Team operator.
- 13 (-). DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?, Harold Evans / Advice on writing well from a noted editor.
- 14 (-). HIDDEN FIGURES, Margot Lee Shetterly / The story of the black women mathematicians at then-segregated NASA and its precursor. The basis of the movie.
- 15 (-). COACH WOODEN AND ME, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar / A life-changing 50-year friendship that began during Abdul-Jabbar’s student days at U.C.L.A.